Information for my local peeps: I found this vegetable in the organic section at Kroger-Exeter location in Germantown.
Cardamom Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
SND Note: We've added the salt before and after roasting. While it's easier to salt the vegetables before roasting, the salt draws out the moisture in the vegetables, which makes them harder to brown and caramelize. Salting the vegetables after roasting is the recommended approach.
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus extra for greasing sheet pan
• 3 green cardamom pods
• 1-2 dried red chilies or 1 fresh Thai chili (optional)
• 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
• 1 head cauliflower (2 1/2 to 3 pounds) cored and broken into medium florets
• 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease a sheet pan or jellyroll pan with olive oil and set aside.
2. Grind the cardamom pods, chilies, coriander, cumin and whole peppercorns in a coffee grinder or mini food processor until fine. Mix the spices with oil in a large bowl. Add the cauliflower florets and onions and toss to coat. Add additional oil if necessary.
3. Transfer the vegetables to a baking pan, spread evenly. Roast until they're tender and the onions are caramelized, about 30-35 minutes, stirring halfway through. Transfer to large bowl, sprinkle with salt and toss, adjust salt to taste and serve.
Makes 4 servings as a side dish
[Adapted from American Masala by Suvir Saran]